Saturday, September 4, 2010

ANGEL

Let me start off by saying that I am not a religious individual by any means, but I am deeply and profoundly spiritual. My spirituality is what drives me, and it is for that reason that I felt this little poem would be an appropriate way to start things off. It was born, like most of my work, out of emotion. These past few weeks have been particularly trying for me. It's funny the way life goes, how quickly things change, for better or for worse. It is in these times, usually when we at our lowest that we can also be at our best. Our true character shines through: Will you learn to swim? Or will you drown? Do you sit on the deck too afraid to jump back in? Or do you take a leap of faith ... and Swim. 

I am a swimmer, though I nearly forgot that. But even the strongest and most fearless among us forget who we are. But, that's ok, because weakness doesn't make you any less of a strong person; what it makes you is human. Or as I like to say "God's perfect imperfection" ... and now, my little poem ...
Divine: This photo does not belong to me. It is the sole property
of its' creator.

ANGEL
  
Don’t sell yourself short, you deserve much more
You’re a Brown-skinned Angel, in a world at war ….

For modesty sake, for shame you hide
Behind your strength, behind your pride.
And though you fight to mask the pain
To keep it all inside
Those tears burn salt rivers, no matter how you’ve tried.
I know it’s hard to see the light when you can’t open your eyes.
It’s hard to be forgiving when you’re weeding through the lies.
And though at times it’s hard
And there seems to be no end,
Just close your eyes and look within, for there you have a friend.
Seek comfort in this truth,
Your worth so much more.
You’re God’s precious Brown-skinned Angel,
And the world He gave is yours.


Posted by Anubian

1 comment:

  1. Such a profound poem. Reminds me of how powerful we are as women and the strength that keeps us going. Love it!

    ReplyDelete